Sunday, September 20, 2015

Yukon Four

Her: We should be on the road by 7 am.
Me, to myself: Oh.
Her: Oh, wait. There's a one hour time difference. We can leave at 8.
Me, to myself: OK.
Arj: I'll drive. You girls can sleep.
Me, to myself: Yup, would've anyways.

Before we left a took a few pics (of their place) while they patiently waited for me.



I crossed the highway and took a pic to my left - this is the Pleasant Camp border crossing:





























And I took a pic straight ahead - this is where the folks who guard the border live.
(In between the two pics is a construction zone, where a diesel spill is being cleaned and a new office will be built.)






























And that's it. No other buildings of any kind for about 50 miles.


I got into the backseat of the car, surrounded myself with blankets and pillows and slept til we got to Whitehorse (3hour drive).

We stopped for groceries.
Salads for each of us.



































And then cupcakes.
Mine?

WAS HEAVENLY.
Cream cheese, chocolate on a vanilla cake.

I would fly back up there just for another one.
Seriously.






























Two hours later, we arrived in Skagway.
This was the sign on the back of the bathroom stall's door.

I was in the correct position when I took this photo, as you no doubt can tell from the angle.































Arj decided to hang around town, shop, eat, sightsee - while Karm and I took a 3 hour train ride.












































Twas lovely.






























It was a trip into the mountains, ending at the summit/border between USA and Canada.










































Beautiful scenery that was very BC-like.
























































































































































The summit.































































































































And just like they promised, three hours later, we were back in Skagway:






























Which during the Gold Rush had a population of 3,500.
Today the population is 800.































Definitely a town set up sole-y for tourists.


























































Red Onion wall decorations includes a collection of bed pans.






































































By 5 pm the town was vacant. All tourists/shoppers had gone back to the cruise ship, so we headed back to Whitehorse.

Karm slept in the front seat.
I tried to take a few scenic pics from the back seat, but gave up eventually.

The terrain in Alaska:































The colours of the Yukon:































We got back to Whitehorse around 8 and were the last customers seated at this interesting shack that served AMAZING food. Because it had no insulation in the walls or ceiling it was closing for the season on Friday...

































Karm and Arj shared this bread pudding dessert:











































And ate everything but the raisins.






























We were the last to leave.





























And from there we drove over to our hotel.

At the reservation desk...

Clerk: Here are your keys. (She hands them to Karm,)
Me: Did you make reservations for me as well?
Karm: Pffft. You're staying with us.
Me: Uh. No. I'll get my own room.
Clerk: Sorry. We don't have any more rooms. We are full up tonight.
Arj, to Karm: I told you ... I didn't think she'd want to share a room.
Karm: Really this is no big deal, is it?
Me: Uhhhh.

YOU HAVE NO IDEA.

If only I didn't snore, this would not have been an issue.
But I could feel this cold coming on - I was congested and swallowing razor blades. I just KNEW the night breathing noises would be obscenely loud.

PLUS? The thermostat was stuck on 80 degrees. That room? Was hot.

Sigh.

I obviously didn't die of embarrassment.

And at 5:45 I got up, caught the shuttle, got on the plane and headed back south.

Three things I'm thankful for:

1. A fabulous trip, with generous, laid back, fun hosts.
2. A ride home from the airport by Danica.
3. A job that allows me to work from home when I can't stop coughing/blowing my nose.

Shalom,

xo

Me, in the Yukon:

















No comments: