Thursday, April 19, 2007

Pinched nerve?

It was suggested to me the other night that my leg/hip thing might be a pinched nerve.
I guess I should just go to a doctor and find out.

Tonight was supposed to be shopping night (well, actually, I thought I'd do that last night, but there was, like, homework, and battles, and gnashing of teeth, and tension, and not a drop of patience to be found on the premises - so I defered to tonight,) but by the time I got home from work, my leg/back/hip were so out of whack, I had to pass on that activity again. (Which truthfully wasn't much of a sacrifice because, well, I'd rather go to the dentist than go shopping.)

So, now I waddle and limp.

My marketability just dropped substantially.

I've been reheating the magic bag every 20 minutes and popping Advil like Smarties.

Speaking of Smarties, I don't think I like them anymore.

Which is a good thing.

You know what's been on my mind alot, like a whole lot, lately?
Beauty. Appearance. Weight.
I guess that makes me normal. Seems to be a huge topic amongst women. And as much as I dislike talking about it, I've been pulled into a few conversations about it in the last few weeks. (Surprisingly, even though we covered every other topic under the sun- or in our case - rain; we did not talk about it in the Passport lineup. However, as to be expected when mothers are together for any length of time, we all shared our labor and delivery stories.)

I was out the other night with a friend who is 5 years older than me. She looks fantastic. I told her so. "It's what I do. I work at it fulltime. I've just joined Weight Watchers to get down to a 6." (She's an 8 right now.)

One of my neighbours walks 2 hours a day, sometimes more, everyday, to stay in shape.

I guess that's the bottom line. When you're over 40, being thin, fit, trim, beautiful doesn't just happen. Sacrifices need to be made. And from where I'm sitting (with my right leg propped up, a magic bag wedged between my back and hip, my hair pulled into a greasy ponytail, my house in its usual state of disarray, an Advil buzz messing with my concentration, and the longing to check stuff off any one of my 13 ongoing lists), from where I'm sitting - it seems overwhelming to add another "must do" to my day.

However, for health's sake, I should at least have a go at it. Somethings gonna havta give though. I have a feeling it will be my creative pursuits... but I wish it could be weeding. I'd gladly give up gardening for walking.

Oh, who am I kidding? Health has nothing to do with this. I'm just tired of being embarrassed with the way I look.

When Kirstie Allie first did the Jenny Craig thing, I thought I'd join her in her quest. Didn't happen. Maybe Valerie Bertinelli will be more of a motivator?


Three things I'm thankful for:
1. Magic bags and Advil
2. Black and white photographs
3. The Chris Tomlin worship CD I have in my truck.

Shalom,

No comments: